Tuesday, August 28, 2007

School Supply time




Who doesn't love school supplies? With school getting under way, kids are stocking up on folders, notebooks, pencils and erasers, and a couple of my favorites: scissors and paste.




I always loved cutting and pasting. The scissors make that satisfying scratchy sound as they cut through construction paper. Paste was always fun, too. Some of my grade-school friends were gluers -- they were especially fond of covering their palms with glue and then peeling off the dried glue like a layer of skin. Not me, though; I was a paster. I liked troweling it out of its little bottle with that spatula thing attached to the lid. Glue sticks are just not the same, and liquid glue always left a little wet lump in the paper where it soaked in too much.




Thanks to the wonders of technology, I still get to cut and paste every day. Although it's lacking some of the visceral pleasures, like troweling, the Windows "cut and paste" feature is such an incredibly handy tool (and it's less messy, too). Once you've tried it, you can't imagine how you ever did without it.




Our own Katie Olsen has designed a little tutorial to show us the ways of computer cutting and pasting. This is the first step in this fall's training curriculum. Let's see who among us can complete the entire curriculum. Can you? Click here to try the tutorial.

No comments: