Thursday, October 11, 2007

W.O.W. stands for...


Turn the M in Millennium upside down, and what do you have? A W! And W stands for WORD! I'd like to introduce a new educational tool to help you learn about Millennium, the Word of the Week!

The Word of the Week will help you learn some of the new terms that we'll all be exposed to as we transition to the new system.

Notice the new Word of the Week section to the right. We've kicked it off with an appropriate term for this project.

You'll also see a W.O.W. sign in the staff rooms at Cook Park and Evergreen.

If you have any ideas for ILS-related terms that you or others may not know, tell your department's IDT Cheerleader or, even better, write a comment for this post and in addition to helping your colleages, you'll be entered in the Snacker of the Month drawing!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Katie, I've enjoyed the other postings, but this I think has been the most helpful to me yet. I really appreciate the definitions provided to the right of the blog entry. The jargon and terminology are challenging for me, and sometimes I guess at it, so I won't look dumb asking an obvious question. For example, I really didn't know what OPAC stood for--I'll admit that now. Also, I can guess at what "interface"--the term used in relation to ENCORE--means, but am not 100% sure. Thank you for bringing up this very important topic.

Andrea J. said...

Thanks for your comment, Susie. I'd like to urge you and other readers to submit any and all terminology or jargon words you'd like to see featured as the Word of the Week. If you're not sure of the meaning, chances are there's someone else out there who's not sure either.

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie! It's me, Andy, that weird guy that sits behind you in TS. No, the other one. I like this feature and think it will be useful, but it made me think of another I'd like to see. How about a side by side list of the programs and software that we use and are familiar with now, complete with official name and maybe a short description/definition (is the 'Blue Screen' GEAC? I've been here three years and still not sure), and compare that to what it will be replaced with when Millennium takes over? What do you think? And can you hand me that stapler?